Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Day 3 hiking was relatively easy.  This was an acclimatization day so we did 2 out and back hike.  The first hike was to a hill top that provided our first view of Everest and Lhotse peaks.  It was a 'modest' hike on the Mike Rogillio Hiking Scale (MRHS). 

The second hike was intended to get us exposure to higher elevations.  We hiked up some very rough rock 'steps' about 1,100 feet.  This was is the equivalent of taking the stairs to the top of the Empire State Building.....only it rocky and sandy and lots of loose gravel.  The thin air was hard on me but did not seem to bother Nick too much.  I had to take numerous breaks to catch my breath.  I rate this hike as 'moderately strenuous' on the MRHS.  There is a very short landing field up there that small plans and helicopters use.  Nick was convinced he could a nice view of Everest if he went over the next ridge. I was not so inclined. So Nick and Kumar went up a little further and Ross and I headed back down.  Coming down was pretty easy as you just push in the clutch and coast.....only you had to ride the breaks and chose each step wisely so as not to slip on the sand.  I slipped only once and ended on my backside.  Fortunately I have lots of cushion and was not hurt.  

We have the rest of the day to relax and explore.  I took a shower and we gathered up all our laundry and gave it to the guest house to be laundered.  I don't think any of the higher camps have laundry service available.  They charge 80 cents per item with a pair of socks being an item.  I saw people doing laundry in the village in and open creek and I suspect that is where our laundry will be done.

After lunch I will take a nap and then go explore the village.  Ross said some of the bars show "Into Thin Air Death on Everest" and some other documentaries.  So we will go see what we  can see.

It's nice to have an easy hiking day and time to relax after that hike from hell yesterday!

I ordered a pizza with mixed topping and it has tomatos, cheese and tuna.  Ugh.  Not used to my pizza smelling like cat food!  Hmmmm, well I do like to try different things....


No comments:

Post a Comment